Preparing For the Upgrade
Before you can move Active Directory to a new replacement computer, you must first perform some preliminary steps to prepare for the upgrade:
- Install a new version of Windows Server on the replacement computer
- Verify the suitability of the new server
- Add the necessary server roles
- Promote the new server as a domain controller (DC).
- Back up the domain
- Prepare a test lab
- Add alias names (optional).
For more information on each step, select the topic from the left panel. help menu (top).
Review the Microsoft Domain Controller Upgrade Guide
Before you begin, we recommend that you first read and review the Microsoft guide on how to upgrade a domain controller to a newer version of Windows Server:
- Windows Server 2016-2022 Domain Controller Upgrade Guide
- Windows Server 2012 R2 and 2012 Domain Controller Upgrade Guide
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Active Directory Migration Guide
U-Move will not do the whole migration for you, but it will help automate many of the steps listed in the guide, including data collection, AD replication verification, DNS migration, and FSMO role migration. U-Move will also check the post-upgrade steps that are not addressed in the guide, such as swapping the static IP address and/or the computer name.
|U-Move for Active Directory|